Congratulations to the Girls Team for their 5th Place finish at this weekend’s Sunflower League Championships. Great job girls!
Sarah Ohlde, after much delayed COVID test results, came back to qualify in the 50 Free and also got her consideration time in the 100 Free. Gretchen Schmierer Knust qualified in the 100 Back. Tove Krussow improved her consideration times in both the 100 Fly and 100 Back, and Ella Buss improved her 100 Free consideration time.
The Raiders were led by Olivia Riley who placed second in both the 50 Free and 100 Free, improving her qualifying times in both events. Olivia also anchored the 2nd Place 200 Free Relay, and 4th Place 400 Free Relay.
200 Medley Relay – A. Lowland, G. Rood, T. Krussow, G. Schmierer Knust (8th)
200 Free – E. Buss (11th)
200 IM – G. Schmierer Knust (13th)
50 Free – O. Riley (2nd)
100 Butterfly – T. Krussow (10th)
100 Free – O. Riley (2nd), E. Buss (6th)
500 Free – C. Guthrie (16th)
200 Free Relay – S. Ohlde, E. Buss, T. Krussow, O. Riley (2nd)
100 Backstroke – G. Schmierer Knust (11th), T. Krussow (13th)
100 Breaststroke – G. Rood (15th)
400 Free Relay – S. Ohlde, E. Buss, G. Schmierer Knust, O. Riley (4th)
Congratulations to our SMS State Team
- Gretchen Schmierer Knust
- Tove Krussow
- Grace Rood
- Ella Buss
- Sarah Olde
- Olivia Riley
State Meet Updates
KSHSAA continues to update their planning for the State Meet. Visit the KSHSAA Girls State webpage for the latest information. Here’s a brief summary.
- The 6A competition will take place on one day – Friday May 21st. Divers will have prelims and semifinals in the morning, starting at 9:30am. Swimmers will not have prelims. All races will be timed-finals. Finals competition begins at 3:45pm, with the dive finals as the first event.
- Limited spectators will be allowed.
- To attend, digital tickets must be purchased via GoFan – through their app or via the GoFan Website
- On Tuesday, May 18, participating schools will receive unique passcodes for GoFan Digital Ticketing allowing each senior participant two tickets and one ticket for all other participants.
- At noon on Thursday, May 20, all remaining tickets will be accessible to the general public via the GoFan App, the GoFan Website and the KSHSAA Website.
Schedule for Week of 5/10/21
Only the members of the state team will be practicing.
- Monday – SMDAC – 3:00 – 5:30pm
- Tuesday – SMS – 3:00 – 5:30pm
- Wednesday – SMDAC – 3:00 – 5:30pm
- Thursday – SMS – 3:00 – 5:30pm
- Friday – SMS – 3:00 – 5:00pm
- Saturday – SMS – 7:30 – 9:30am
Save the Date : Team Awards Night is Thursday, May 20th.
Great Job Raiders!
Swimming prelims concluded yesterday with some outstanding performances from the entire team. Many swimmers dropped their times significantly. Some highlights:
- All three relays qualified in the top 8 (the “A” finals), with the 200 Medley Relay improving their time by 2.4 seconds.
- Gretchen Schmierer Knust qualified for State in the 100 back (1:05.30). Congratulations Gretchen!
- Olivia Riley took .5 off her 50 time and 1 second off in the 100 Free. She’s seeded 2nd in the 50 and 1st in the 100 for tomorrow’s finals.
- Charlotte Guthrie took nearly 7 seconds off her time in the 200 Free, and 15.36 seconds in the 500 Free! She finished 16th in the 500 and will compete in the B Final on Saturday.
- Annika Lowland took over 7 seconds off her season best time in the 200IM and 4 seconds in the 100 Back. She finished a hard-luck 17th (1st Alternate) in the IM.
- Tove Krussow improved her time in the 100 Butterfly by over 2 seconds and is within .5 of qualifying (1:05.40). She is the top-seed (9th) in the B Finals of the Butterfly, and also finished 16th in the 100 Backstroke, and will compete in both events on Saturday.
- Grace Rood took 4 seconds off her season best in the 100 Breaststroke and will swim on Saturday as the 16th seed.
- Ella Buss took 1 second off in the 100 free and will swim both the 200 Free (seeded 11th) and 100 Free (seeded 7th) on Saturday.
Curious how prelims and finals work? Read our short primer about the championship meets.
Diving Prelims and Semi-Finals take place today (Friday) with the League Swim & Dive Finals on Saturday. The meet will be streamed live on the NFHS Network. You can also follow the meet results on Meet Mobile.
Full Results of Swimming Prelims
Preliminary Heat Sheet for Finals
JV League Meet
The JV season comes to a close on Tuesday with the JV League Meet. The start time is now 4pm. NO SPECTATORS are permitted. The meet will be streamed on NFHS network. Girls will be dismissed from class at 2pm with the bus departing SMS at 2:15.
The following athletes will be participating: Olivia Chavez, Eliot Grotzinger, Isabella King, Lauren Ohlde, Shoshanna Fisher, Carleigh Wissel, Kara Tompkins, Rosemary Derr. Their season will conclude after the meet.
Varsity League Meet
The Sunflower League Meet is a multi-day meet. There are two swim prelims sessions on Thursday. Diving prelims and semi-finals on Friday. And the Swim and Dive finals will be on Saturday. NO SPECTATORS are permitted. The meet will be streamed on NFHS network and updated on the Meet Mobile app.
Swim Prelims (Thursday): The bus will leave SMS at 3:15pm on Thursday. SMS is in Prelims Session 2. Warm-ups will be from 4-5 and the competition will start at 5pm.
Dive Prelims (Friday): Diving prelims competition will begin at 5:35pm.
Swim and Dive Finals (Saturday): Those who make it to finals on Saturday should report to the SMDAC at the following times: Diving Finals warm-up begins at 8am; competition begins at 9:30. Swimming: be there by 10:45am for warm up. The swimming finals competition begins at 1pm.
There have been many changes to the League meet plans in the last week. Here’s the latest info we have from the Sunflower League. (pdf)
Schedule : Week of 5/3/2021 – 5/9/2021
- Monday – SMDAC – 3-5:30pm
- Tuesday – JV Swimming – SMDAC. Bus leaves at 2:15, competition begins at 4pm. NO SPECTATORS. Varsity – SMS – 3-5:00pm
- Wednesday – Varsity only – SMDAC 3-5:30pm
- Thursday – Swimming League Prelims, Session 2. Bus departs 3:15, competition starts at 5pm. NO SPECTATORS.
- Friday – Diving League Prelims & Semi-Finals. Competition begins at 5:35pm. NO SPECTATORS. Swimming Practice – SMS – 3-5pm
- Sat – Dive Finals – Warm-up Begins at 8am. Finals at 9:30. Swimmers – arrive by 10:45. Competition begins at 1pm. NO SPECTATORS.
Thanks to the Riley’s for hosting and the Booster Club for sponsoring the dinner. It was a beautiful night and the girls seemed very happy. Hopefully it foreshadows what will be possible next year!
SM South vs SM West & Olathe Northwest
Don’t miss the state qualifiers page to see those with state qualifying and consideration times.
Download Full Meet Results
Images from the Meet
See the Team Shutterfly Galleries for more meet photos.