3 – 0!
Raiders have state qualifying or consideration time in 9 out of the 11 events.
Way to go BOYS!
Weekly Highlights & Notes
The boys’ have one swim and dive meet this week.
There is no team transportation to this meet. Swimmers and Divers should be at the SMSDAC by 2:00 pm. The meet will begin at 3:30 pm. (Arrival time is earlier than past meets.)
They will need to be dressed in their suits on arrival at SMSDAC. After the meet is over, swimmers and divers can use the restroom to change into dry clothes for the ride home. The meet should last approximately two hours.
NOTE: Be sure your son has extra masks, a Ziploc bag for his mask (to keep it dry), and his own water bottle and snacks for the meet.
(Links to directions, meet times, and meet information are available on the website’s event calendar.)
SMS Swim & Dive Schedule Date Changes
The meet District Meet originally scheduled for this Saturday has been canceled.
Swim & Dive Spectators Starting on Tuesday
On December 8th, KSHAA’s Board of Directors met to discuss adjusting the spectator limits that were approved at the December 4th meeting.
The following motion was made and was carried.
“Effective Thursday, December 10 through January 28, 2021, interscholastic activities will allow for attendance of up to two parents/guardians per participant(s) family as allowed by local board of education or health department restrictions.”
In an effort to best meet the goal, high schools in Shawnee Mission will open to spectators starting on December 10th and continue through January 28th. The school will allow entry of up to two parents/guardians per participant in the main gymnasiums and in the Aquatics Center.
Things to note:
- The school will allow entry of up to two parents/guardians per participant.
- Siblings are NOT considered parents/guardians and not allowed access.
- SMS will be using the parent/guardian information in Skyward.
- If more than two parents/guardians are listed in Skyward, the default will be the participant’s parents. If you have more than two parents/guardians, you can use a rotation system. If rotation is going to be used, parents/guardians must contact SMS Office at least one day before the competition. Also, no substitutes are allowed if the parent/guardian is unable to attend.
- Spectators will not be allowed entry into the Aquatic Center until 15 minutes before contest time.
- Spectators must be masked for the entire event.
Senior Night – Tuesday, December 15th
Coach Berg will be highlighting the seniors during this week’s meet. While parents will not be able to go on deck, we will be able to see our boys in person. Congratulations to Owen, Ryan, Nathan, Tyler, and Jorge.
MeetMobile: The SMSDAC uses MeetMobile Swim App to provide real-time meet results and standings during meets. More schools are starting to use this app and it is a way to stay informed of your son’s performance if you can’t be there in person. The app is available in the Apple & Google Play Store. Subscriptions run free (for basic heat sheet only), to $2.49 per month or annually for $6.99 (for real-time event results).
Practice Schedule (Swim): 12/14 – 12/20
- Monday, 12/14: 3:00 – 5:30 pm at SMSouth
- Tuesday, 12/15: Meet: Lawrence & Manhattan
- Wednesday, 12/16: 3:00 – 5:00 pm at SMSouth
- Thursday, 12/17: 3:00 – 5:30 pm at SMSouth
- Friday, 12/18: 3:00 – 5:00 pm at SMSouth
- Saturday, 12/19: 7:00 – 9:30 am at SMSouth
Practice Schedule (Dive): 12/14 – 12/20
- Monday, 12/14: 3:00 – 4:30 pm at SMSDAC
- Tuesday, 12/15: Meet: Lawrence & Manhattan
- Wednesday, 12/16: 3:00 – 4:30 pm at SMSDAC
- Thursday, 12/17: NO PRACTICE
- Friday, 12/18: 3:00 – 4:00 pm at SMSDAC
- Saturday, 12/19: NO PRACTICE
- All athletes are required to fill out a COVID questionnaire daily before they come to practice. Athletes should fill out a COVID questionnaire between 10 am and 12 pm. COVID questionnaire can be found on the Swim Website Menubar under COVID Questionnaire.
- Athletes must have a mask/face covering on at all times. They will need to bring a zip-lock bag and before they enter the pool remove their mask and place it in the baggie and secure it. Once they exit the pool, they will need to put the mask back on.
- If they are not feeling well, they MUST stay home and contact one of the coaches. Athletes that stay home may not return to practice or competition until they have been cleared by the SMS school nurse.
- There will be no locker rooms. Athletes coming from home should come to practice dressed in their swimsuit. Athletes coming from school will change in bathrooms. Gym bags will be stowed in the swim area.
- Athletes will be split into groups and groups will spread out around the pool based on their lanes. You are not allowed to change lanes unless specified by a Coach. While on deck, every athlete and coach will wear a mask and maintain social distancing.
- Athletes may not carpool with non-family. If the athlete is driving, make sure to fill out Transportation Form.
- No communal food or drink. No team meals, Saturday donuts, or team lunches. Do not share water bottles.