Finally, we’re back in the pool.
Welcome to the Girls Swim & Dive Season. After the disappointment of last year, we’re all looking forward to a great season in 2021. The boys team just completed a safe and successful season, finishing 2nd in the Sunflower League and 5th at State, where Coach Berg was named Kansas Boys 6A Coach of the Year. Congratulations to the boys team and all the coaches. Now it’s the girls turn to shine!
If you’re new to the team, make sure to join the mailing list. We send weekly emails including the schedule, announcements, meet information and results and other team information. If you were on the team previously, there is no need to resubscribe.
Coach Berg also communicates directly to the team via GroupMe and all athletes must join the group chats. There are three group chats: whole team, swimmers, and divers. Athletes MUST belong to two groups. All chat groups must have at least one coach as a member.
If you have any questions, please contact Coach Berg (email@example.com).
Week 1 Schedule
Note: All practices this week will be at SMS. All participants must scan the QR Code DAILY and answer the health survey honestly before practice. All team members must wear a face mask at all times, when not in the pool.
All participants must have their KSHSAA Pre-Participation Physical Exam (PPE) and 2020/21 Athletic Participation Packet completed and on file with the school athletic department office to be allowed to practice. If you participated in a Fall or Winter sport you have taken care of this already. If you’re not sure, complete information is available on the SMS Raider Athletics page.
3:00pm – 5:30pm Monday-Friday
7:00am – 9:30am Saturday
Swimmers will need a one-piece swimsuit, goggles, cap (recommended), mask and plastic bag (Ziploc) to store your mask, and towel. A water bottle is recommended. No sharing of equipment, water bottles, etc. is allowed.
3:00pm – 5:30pm Monday-Friday
7:00am – 9:30am Saturday
Divers will need a one-piece suit, chamois (optional but recommended), and towel. Divers will not be required to put their masks on between dives but should practice appropriate social distancing.
Team Registration, Caps and Suits, and Spiritwear
Booster club information, team registration, and team suits and apparel information will be posted soon. Unfortunately, due to COVID protocols, team social/group activities are curtailed. There will be no “Bagel Saturdays” or team dinners this year.
Important: Team Guidelines
Team COVID protocols are summarized here. You are responsible for reviewing and adhering to the full team COVID Protocols (pdf). These protocols are based upon CDC, KSHSAA, Johnson County Health Department, SMSD, and SMS recommendations. Given the changing nature of the pandemic all recommendations and protocols may be modified as the season progresses. We will communicate and post about any changes with as much notice as possible. The number one goal for SMS Swim & Dive this season is to keep all athletes, coaches, and families as safe as possible. Do not sacrifice the health of your team for the benefit of an athletic performance.
- Report any possible symptoms of COVID immediately to a healthcare provider. If an athlete is experiencing any symptoms they cannot attend practices or competition until they are cleared by a healthcare provider.
- Join team GroupMe for communication purposes. We will have three official groups: whole team,swimming, and diving. You must belong to 2 groups. All groups must have at least one coach as a member.
- Provide your own water (consider larger containers)
- Provide at least one mask (used when not actively practicing)
- Consider having a ziplock bag to put mask in when not used and putting your name on the bag
- Provide hand sanitizer daily
- Practice social distancing at all times
- Not share any items (clothes, shoes, water, food, etc.)
- Not have physical contact with another teammate purposely (no hand shakes, hugs, high fives, braiding each others hair, etc.)
- Not car pool with anyone that is not living in the same household. This applies to practices and competitions.
- Take all clothing home after practice daily. No items can be left in the locker rooms.
- No locks will be checked out.
- Shower as soon as possible after practice and competitions
- Wash clothes worn in practices and meets before wearing again.
- Wash cloth masks frequently.
- Assume that any situation can be a possible risk for exposure and take every precaution to reduce transmission risk.
- Practice all guidelines beyond the team. At home and in any outside activities (club sports, music lessons, etc.).
- Follow any guidelines that are communicated by the host school of the competitions. This could possibly include limits to numbers of spectators at a meet or having to leave as soon as your child finishes racing.
- Not expect this season to be “normal” or like past seasons. IT IS OUR CURRENT REALITY.
- Be flexible and understanding about changes that WILL occur during the season. There are many factors that are out of our control so directives can and will change.
- Each athlete needs to scan the QR Code for Swim/Dive daily before practice and answer the survey honestly. If “yes” is answered on the questions, communicate with coach (email or text) immediately. Codes will be posted at practice location, coach’s classroom, athletic office, and locker room area.
- Athletes are to practice social distancing and standing 6+ feet apart at all times with masks on while not in the water. Divers will not be required to use a mask between dives, as a wet mask poses issues of their own, so it will be necessary to maintain social distancing during practice.
- Masks will be worn when inside the building and during non-swimming/diving portions of practices.
- Athletes will be assigned to “Training Groups” and will work within those groups. DO NOT CHANGE GROUPS. Coaches may move people around based on performance. Within those groups, you will be placed into lanes, athletes will remain in their lane unless moved by the coaches.
- After completing workout and any “extra” work (core, drills, stretching weight-training, etc.), athletes will be asked to leave practice and head home.
- There is no car-pooling to and away from practice with anyone that does not reside in your household.
- If you have to miss practice for any reason, please communicate with Coach Berg, Coach Neuman, Coach Chris in advance. Due to record keeping, this info is needed more than ever.
- Meet guidelines will be fluid and determined by the host based on criteria from their school district and health agencies. Communication of guidelines will be posted on SMS Swim/Dive Website.
- Athletes, coaches, and families/supporters are expected to adhere to the guidelines for each meet.
- Athletes will need to scan QR Code and complete survey prior to the competition. If “yes” is answered to any of the questions, communicate with Coach Berg and stay home.
- Transportation may be limited this season. For Saturday meets, we may ask that parents transport athletes to the meets. Students that complete driving paperwork may be able to drive to meets. More info will be provided in advance of meets.
- No car-pooling with anyone that does not reside in your household.
- No team huddles, high fives, hugs, or any other close person actions. Remain socially distanced.
- We will need to remain socially distanced in the team area. Follow instructions given by coaches. This will likely differ from meet to meet and venue to venue.
- Parents/supporters are to remain out of the team area, away from the pool, and stay in the stands. Parents/supporters must wear masks while at the meet and remain distanced from others and the athletes.
SMS Girls Practice/Meet QR Code
As always, and particularly this year, the schedule is subject to change with little notice. We will endeavor to keep the schedule up-to-date on the website, but highly recommend checking the League calendar for the most accurate information. Use the “view schedules” tool to filter by Swimming.
The team handbook is also available online. Please keep in mind, COVID Protocols take precedence. You may also download a copy of the SMS Swim and Dive Handbook (pdf). Any questions should be directed to Coach Berg.