First Home Meet at the Aquatic Center (SMAC)
SMS hosts its first home meet of the season tomorrow at the District Aquatic Center. We are the late meet – beginning at 5:30pm. All athletes should be at the SMAC by 4:30. Each athlete may have two parents/guardians attend. Masks are required at all times. The meet will also be streamed on the NFS Network. (subscription required)
Remaining Bucket Hats Available for Purchase
If your swimmer didn’t get a bucket hat or you would like some extras for siblings or family, we will have a limited number of hats on hand and available for purchase at this Thursday’s swim meet at the SMAC. The hats are $15 (check or cash is fine). Laurie Riley will have the hats with her on Thursday. We hope to use some of the proceeds to help fund a catered picnic for the girls outside in April.
Spring Break Practice Schedule
Coach Berg will also have practices available on GroupMe if you are out-of-town but have access to a pool.
- Saturday 4/3/2021 – NO PRACTICE
- Monday 4/5/2021 – SMS – 8am-10am
- Tuesday 4/6/2021 – SMS – 8am-10am
- Wednesday 4/7/2021 – SMS – 8am-10am
- Thursday 4/8/2021 – SMS – 8am-10am
- Friday 4/9/2021 – NO PRACTICE
- Saturday 4/10/2021 – NO PRACTICE
Team Galleries on Shutterfly
This year’s team gallery “Share Site” has been set up on Shutterfly. Watch the team emails for the password to access the galleries. Photos may be viewed and downloaded in high-rez. You may also create your own prints, photo books, and other items via Shutterfly.
Watch the meet today via Facebook Live.
Schedule (3/29/21 – 4/2/2021)
In this week leading into Spring Break we have two meets, and SMAC has reopened so we’ll be practicing there Monday and Wednesday.
The Spring Break practice schedule is still being developed. We’ll provide more information later this week.
For the meet on Tuesday, Blue Valley, just today, updated their swim & dive spectator policies, thus the delay in the weekly email. Per their rules, prior to the start of the meet tomorrow, Coach Berg will provide BVNW a roster of participating athletes and each athlete may have one designated spectator.
Schedule Week of 3/29/2021 – 4/2/2021
- Monday – SMAC – 3-5:30pm [there will be a bus from SMS available]
- Tuesday – Meet vs BVNW @ Blue Valley Northwest HS – 3:30pm. Girls will be released from class at 2:15. Bus will depart from Lamar lot at 2:30. All athletes MUST ride the bus.
- Wednesday – SMAC – 3-5:30pm
- Thursday – Quad-Meet vs LHS, LFS, Turner @ SMAC – 5:30pm. Girls should arrive at SMAC at 4:30. Warm-ups will begin about 10 minutes after the conclusion of the early meet.
- Friday – SMS – 7:30am-9:30am
- Sat – No practice.
BV Girls Swim & Dive Rules (Tuesday’s Meet)
- There is no spectator entry fee.
- We will allow two spectators per participant for home events in Blue Valley and one spectator per participant for the visiting schools due to seating limitations in the district pools.
- We are asking that spectators not enter the building until 15 minutes before the start of the meet.
- Spectators must wear a mask at all times while in the building.
- Spectators are expected to maintain six feet of social distance between themselves and other spectators at all times. This includes when seated in the bleachers.
- No food or beverages will be allowed to be brought in and there will be no concessions. This is to ensure spectators keep their masks on at all times.
SM Aquatic Center Meet Rules (Thursday’s Meet)
- Two parents/guardians spectators per participant may attend.
- Siblings are NOT considered parents/guardians and not allowed access.
- SMS will be using the parent/guardian information in Skyward.
- If more than two parents/guardians are listed in Skyward, the default will be the participant’s parents. If you have more than two parents/guardians, you can use a rotation system. If rotation is going to be used, parents/guardians must contact SMS Office at least one day before the competition. Also, no substitutes are allowed if the parent/guardian is unable to attend.
- Spectators will not be allowed entry into the Aquatic Center until 15 minutes before contest time.
- Spectators must be masked for the entire event.
- The meet will also be streamed on the NHFS Network.
All Practices at SMS this week
The meet on Tuesday has been postponed and will be rescheduled due to the repairs at the Aquatic Center. All practices this week will be at SMS.
Schedule (3/22/21 – 3/28/2021)
- Monday – SMS – 3-5:30pm
- Tuesday – SMS – 3-5:30pm
- Wednesday – SMS 3-5:30pm
- Thursday – SMS – 3-5:30pm
- Friday – SMS – 3-5:30pm
- Sat – SMS – 7:30am-9:30am
Special thanks to Jane Buss for the work on the senior poster.
Aquatic Center Down for Repairs
Meets and Practices Relocated/Rescheduled
The SMAC will be down for repairs for the next few weeks after a glass window dislodged, broke, and pieces entered the pool. The pool must now be drained, cleaned, refilled, and brought back to temperature and chemical balance. According to Athletic Director Johnson at SMS, this is expected to take 17 days.
Swim practice for Friday originally scheduled for SMAC will now be at SMS from 3pm-5:30pm. All practices will be at SMS next week. Coach Berg is working on a revised schedule for diving (which was practicing daily at SMAC). It will be announced soon.
The meet originally scheduled for next Tuesday at SMAC will be rescheduled. More information on practice and meet schedules will be coming soon.
Meet Results from Lawrence Free State
Congratulations to everyone on a great first meet. As Coach Berg said in his email to me, “The girls did well. I’m looking forward to a great season!”
200 Medley Relay – Schmierer Knust, Rood, Krussow, Ponnuru
50 Free – Olivia Riley and Sarah Ohlde
100 Free – Olivia Riley
100 Backstroke – Gretchen Schmierer Knust
200 Free Relay – Buss, Krussow, S. Ohlde, Riley
400 Free Relay – Buss, Schmierer Knust, Ohlde, Riley
Download Full Meet Results
Information and Options to Purchase Team Suits
The chosen team suits are now available for purchase direct from the vendors. After evaluating our options, the direct purchase model this year will be the fastest, and in some cases, cheapest route for you.
Note: You are not required to use the team suit. Any one-piece competition suit free of other team logos or names, or large commercial branding, is acceptable.
- SwimQuik is a local swim supply store. They have set up an SMS Team Page for ordering. The suits are not in-stock and delivery may take 10-14 days. You may wish to call SwimQuik at (913)649-8456 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm availability.
- SwimOutlet is a swimming superstore online. The suit is currently on sale and available in all sizes according to the site. However quantities may be limited, so we encourage you to act fast if purchasing here. Free shipping options are available. Standard delivery is 2-6 days with rush shipping available.
- Other retailers to check include Amazon and Dick’s Sporting Goods online.
Please contact one of the coaches if you have any concerns about your suit.
The meet will be against Lawrence High School and Lawrence Free State. Diving will be the first event.
No spectators are allowed. The meet will be live-streamed. Information is available at: