We Made it to Week 2!
Thanks to everyone for getting the season off to a great start! We know the COVID procedures add a new wrinkle to everything, but you’re doing a good job. Let’s keep everyone safe and healthy through the season.
It’s unfortunate we won’t be able to have the traditional “Bagel Saturday” practices or team dinners this year. We’ll find new ways to support the girls. If you have ideas or suggestions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Now, on with this week’s news and practice schedule.
1. Team Registration – Team Booster Club
It’s time to register. Your support of the team through the Booster Club plays a critical role and benefits the entire team. The funds raised by the Booster Club, and the volunteer efforts of parents, help support the team and the coaches throughout the season. With recent budget cutbacks, your support is needed more than ever. We encourage all participants to please join.
Last year, the Boys and Girls Booster Clubs purchased two digital pace clocks (cost was over $1000) because the school and district would not fund these items. Quality pace clocks are essential to the RPT-based practices organized by Coach Berg. They’ve been a great addition to the pool area and judging by the boys team performance this year, are being put to good use.
In addition to providing much needed support for team activities and expenses including Senior Night, the team Banquet, athlete recognition, and the team website and related costs, each participant who registers will receive a team t-shirt, a team bucket hat, and free team member banquet attendance (if we have it). The bucket hat is available initially only through the booster club registration, any remainders will available for sale on a first-come, first-served basis.
Please take a few moments to submit your team/booster registration today. Your timely registration helps us update the team mailing list, order senior banners for display in the pool area, and helps to ensure that the team spiritwear can be ordered as soon as possible.
Booster Registrations are due by Friday, March 12th, 2021 in order for the spiritwear to arrive in a timely manner.
2. Team Suits and Caps
Team suits and Team Silicone Caps are available through SwimQuik. When available, we will put a link to their online store on this site. Purchase of the team suit and/or silicone caps is optional. Participants are not required to wear the team suit or cap in competition. However, please keep in mind, all suits and caps used in competition (not practice) cannot have other team insignia or logos, or large commercial logos.
This Year’s Team Suit – Speedo “Coded Riff Flyback”
3. Additional Spiritwear
Additional team Spiritwear for parents, supporters, and participants will be available for purchase directly from the Girls Team Spiritwear Store, which should be available this week. Options include sweatshirts, team t-shirts and racerback tanktops. Purchase of any of these items is at your discretion.
4. This Week’s Schedule (3/8 – 3/14/2021)
We will be practicing at the SMAC (Shawnee Mission District Aquatic Center) on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. Girls are to meet out there as close to 3pm (weekdays) as they can on the days they are Virtual.
We have a bus Monday and Wednesday from South to SMAC that will leave from the Lamar lot at 2:50pm for those girls that are at school. It will return to South after practice, around 5:30pm
M/W/F – SMAC – 3-5:30pm
Tu/Thurs – SMS – 3-5:30pm
Sat – SMAC – 7:30am-9:30am
5. Meet Schedule
The Sunflower League has released an initial meet schedule. All meets have been added to our event calendar (which also include Google maps for event locations).
As always, this is subject to change. We will endeavor to keep the schedule up-to-date on the website, but highly recommend checking the League calendar for the most accurate information. Use the “view schedules” tool to filter by Swimming.
Reminder: Team Guidelines
The team 2021 COVID Guidelines are also summarized online, and available as a download.
Quick Summary: Team COVID Procedures
- All athletes are required to fill out a COVID questionnaire daily before they come to practice. Athletes should fill out a COVID questionnaire between 10 am and 12 pm. The daily COVID questionnaire can also be found on the Swim Website Menubar under Daily/COVID.
- Athletes must have a mask/face covering on at all times. They will need to bring a zip-lock bag and before they enter the pool remove their mask and place it in the baggie and secure it. Once they exit the pool, they will need to put the mask back on.
- If they are not feeling well, they MUST stay home and contact one of the coaches. Athletes that stay home may not return to practice or competition until they have been cleared by the SMS school nurse.
- There will be no locker rooms. Athletes coming from home should come to practice dressed in their swimsuit. Athletes coming from school will change in bathrooms. Gym bags will be stowed in the swim area.
- Athletes will be split into groups and groups will spread out around the pool based on their lanes. You are not allowed to change lanes unless specified by a Coach. While on deck, every athlete and coach will wear a mask and maintain social distancing.
- Athletes may not carpool with non-family. If the athlete is driving, make sure to fill out Transportation Form.
- No communal food or drink. No team meals, Saturday bagels, or team lunches. Do not share water bottles.