The “busy” season for swim and dive starts this week. Two meets, Krispy Kreme Fundraiser, and more.
Weekly Highlights & Notes
The boys’ have two swim and dive meets this week.
Olathe Northwest & Lawrence on January 12th
There is no team transportation to this meet. Swimmers and Divers should be at the SMSDAC by 2:00 pm. Parents can enter the building at 3:15 pm and the meet will begin at 3:30 pm.
Shawnee Mission East on January 14th
There is no team transportation to this meet. Swimmers and Divers should be at the SMSDAC by 2:30 pm. (This is 30 minutes later than the ONW and Lawrence meet.) Parents can enter the building at 3:15 pm and the meet will begin at 3:30 pm.
They will need to be dressed in their suits on arrival at SMSDAC. After the meet is over, swimmers and divers can use the restroom to change into dry clothes for the ride home. The meet should last approximately two hours.
NOTE: Be sure your son has extra masks, a Ziploc bag for his mask (to keep it dry), and his own water bottle and snacks for the meet.
(Links to directions, meet times, and meet information are available on the website’s event calendar.)
MeetMobile: The SMSDAC uses MeetMobile Swim App to provide real-time meet results and standings during meets. More schools are starting to use this app and it is a way to stay informed of your son’s performance if you can’t be there in person. The app is available in the Apple & Google Play Store. Subscriptions run free (for basic heat sheet only), to $2.49 per month or annually for $6.99 (for real-time event results).
Swim & Dive Spectators Information
The school will allow entry of up to two parents/guardians per participant in the main gymnasiums and in the Aquatics Center.
Things to note:
- The school will allow entry of up to two parents/guardians per participant.
- Siblings are NOT considered parents/guardians and not allowed access.
- SMS will be using the parent/guardian information in Skyward.
- If more than two parents/guardians are listed in Skyward, the default will be the participant’s parents. If you have more than two parents/guardians, you can use a rotation system. If rotation is going to be used, parents/guardians must contact SMS Office at least one day before the competition. Also, no substitutes are allowed if the parent/guardian is unable to attend.
- Spectators will not be allowed entry into the Aquatic Center until 15 minutes before contest time.
- Spectators must be masked for the entire event.
Krispy Kreme “Saturday Doughnuts” Boys’ Swim Fundraiser
One of the long-standing traditions in Boys’ Swim is “Doughnut Saturday”. Each Saturday at least five (sometimes six) dozen doughnuts would be donated by parents and get delivered to the boys after their Saturday swim and dive practice. Unfortunately, due to COVID-19, we were unable to continue this tradition, until now.
The Booster Club is asking you to “purchase your Saturday doughnuts” through this fundraiser. These fundraisers, along with your booster club dues, provide additional support to the swim and dive program at Shawnee Mission South. Last year we were able to work with the Girls’ Swim Team to purchase two digital timers to help with the RBT that Coach Berg uses for training.
NOTE: The Booster Club has not asked parents for the regular donations of items for team dinners, team lunches, or Saturday doughnuts due to COVID-19 concerns. Your generosity in this fundraiser will allow us to support Coach Berg and continue the rich tradition and success of the SMS Swim & Dive team.
This fundraiser will be open through end-of-the-day on January 18th.
It’s easy to get your “Digital Dozen”. Just follow the instructions below.
- Go HERE and enter your name and email address.
- Pick the number of dozen doughnuts you’d like to purchase.
- Click “Add to Cart”.
- A new screen will pop up with a header of “Krispy Kreme Digital Dozen Fundraiser Has Been Added to your Cart.”
- Click the “View Cart” button to checkout.
- A new “Cart” screen will appear. Make any adjustments to your total and click “Proceed to checkout”.
- Enter your billing and credit card information and click “Place Order”.
- Digital Certificates will be emailed to you with 10 business days of the event closing.
Practice Schedule (Swim): 1/11 – 1/17
Practice Schedule (Dive): 1/11 – 1/17
- All athletes are required to fill out a COVID questionnaire daily before they come to practice. Athletes should fill out a COVID questionnaire between 10 am and 12 pm. COVID questionnaire can be found on the Swim Website Menubar under COVID Questionnaire.
- Athletes must have a mask/face covering on at all times. They will need to bring a zip-lock bag and before they enter the pool remove their mask and place it in the baggie and secure it. Once they exit the pool, they will need to put the mask back on.
- If they are not feeling well, they MUST stay home and contact one of the coaches. Athletes that stay home may not return to practice or competition until they have been cleared by the SMS school nurse.
- There will be no locker rooms. Athletes coming from home should come to practice dressed in their swimsuit. Athletes coming from school will change in bathrooms. Gym bags will be stowed in the swim area.
- Athletes will be split into groups and groups will spread out around the pool based on their lanes. You are not allowed to change lanes unless specified by a Coach. While on deck, every athlete and coach will wear a mask and maintain social distancing.
- Athletes may not carpool with non-family. If the athlete is driving, make sure to fill out Transportation Form.
- No communal food or drink. No team meals, Saturday donuts, or team lunches. Do not share water bottles.